ENGLISHUnited Kingdom

More than 170 children in the Manchester Arena foyer on the night of the bomb

 

 

Joel Goodman More than 170 children were in the foyer of the Manchester Arena when the bomb was detonated, police have revealed.

Senior officers released new information about the May 22 attack, including the horrific nature of the injuries, as part of an update on their investigation.

They said 512 people were directly impacted by the blast that night, either through ‘injury or profound trauma’.

Police are confident the brother of the Manchester Arena bomber will be brought to the UK from Libya to face charges

Two people remain in hospital more than five months on from the attack, with dozens more coming to terms with life-changing injuries.

GMP’s Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said that some of the most seriously hurt suffered paralysis, loss of limbs, internal injuries and serious facial wounds.

Many have undergone complicated plastic surgery.

The senior officer said that of those affected, 353 were in the foyer of the Arena when the bomb detonated – 175 of whom were children aged 10 to 18. He said that 79 children were among the injured.

The making of a monster: How Manchester boy Salman Abedi became a mass murderer

Joel Goodman He said: The investigation has continued at considerable speed with officers drawn from across UK policing to support it.

In addition to the 22 families devastated by the murder of their loved ones, we can now say that there are more than 500 injured people from the attack.

We continue to have family liaison officers deployed to the families who have lost family members and are also working with survivors and their families to support them at this very difficult time.

We have previously explained that amongst the survivors, 16 people were very seriously injured. Injuries include paralysis, loss of limbs, internal injuries and very serious facial injuries. Many have had complicated plastic surgery.

Of course, everyone, not least those who have lost their loved ones will live with the memories of what happened, forever.

Detectives gave the briefing as they began talks with Libyan authorities over the extradition of Hashem Abedi, the brother of Manchester bomber Salman Abedi who is currently in custody in the country.

A warrant for his arrest detailed charges as ‘the murder of 22 people, the attempted murder of others who were injured and conspiracy to cause an explosion’.

In the months following the attack, a dedicated mental health service was launched for all those affected by the events of May 22.

The Manchester Resilience Hub, hosted by Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust, is for adults, children and young people from across the country who have been directly impacted by the bombing, and so far more than 2,500 people have accessed its services.

Mental health experts at the hub have also warned parents and friends that the sound of fireworks over the coming weeks could trigger painful memories for those who were at the Arena.

Anyone affected by the attack can contact the hub and speak with a fully trained mental health professional.

It is open Monday-Friday from 9am until 5pm, with a late night on a Wednesday until 8pm.

Tags

এ সম্পর্কিত অন্যান্য সংবাদ

ডিজাইন ও ডেভেলপমেন্ট করেছে সাইন সফট লিমিটেড
Close